"Orthodontics Ahead! Where are we going?"
Steve Robirds, DDS
CE Credit hours:1
The specialty of Orthodontics has experienced many challenges and changes over the last several decades. This presentation will identify and discuss at length the major issues that currently affect orthodontic specialists, dental consultants, and the dental benefits industry. The future direction of the specialty from a dental consultant’s point of view will be also addressed.
Upon completion, attendees will be able to:
• Understand if new orthodontic treatment modalities are designed to speed up treatment or make it easier on the patient or both
• Understand if Medically Necessary Orthodontics is still viable in the wake of the attempted dismantling of the Affordable Care Act
• Understand current Orthodontic marketplace trends regarding treatment of children and adults
• Discuss if orthodontics can be made more accessible to the general population
• Understand and discuss DIY Orthodontics – Is it effectively simple or simply dangerous
STEPHEN D. ROBIRDS, DDS attended the Baylor College of Dentistry and received his specialty certificate from the Emory School of Dentistry Orthodontic Graduate Program. In addition to maintaining a private practice in Austin, Texas, he currently serves as Consultant to the Council on Orthodontic Health Care at the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) on matters concerning dental insurance and coding. He has been involved in dental, orthodontic and civic leadership throughout his career, having served as President of his local dental society, the Texas Association of Orthodontists and most recently as the President of the AAO’s Southwestern Society of Orthodontists. Dr. Robirds currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Young Men’s Business League Foundation Board located in Austin, Texas which helps to support the Austin Sunshine Camps in providing a camp experience each summer for hundreds of financially disadvantaged youths in the Austin area.